Thursday, November 19, 2009

Change of Heart

Six years ago I started working at a bookstore. I read My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult in about 2 days. I liked the way she was able to write about something controversial (designer babies) and make it relatable to an entertaining and though-provoking story. Every once in a while, when I'm ready to think and read about something else controversial, I will pick up one of her books.

The book I'm reading right now, Change of Heart, is about a death row prisoner that does not act like a typical death row prisoner. I won't go into the details of the story -it's worth reading - but I will say it has made me feel like I should actually say something about the death penalty.

When a certain friend of mine found out I was part of a pro-life group, the first question he asked was "What do you think about the death penalty?" My answer was that I don't support it, but I know many who consider themselves pro-life are on the opposite side of that situation. I can easily see how they can argue one life has done nothing wrong, and one chose to do something awful.

On the other hand, pro-life means much more than the political term meaning anti-abortion. My involvement in the pro-life movement has more to do with honoring the sanctity of all life than it does with disliking abortion. Obviously, I wish abortion would stop, but that is only one small part of the problem. If we can't value a life that is already living alongside us and breathing the same air we do how are we going to value a life we have not met yet? If God created us in his image, who are we to judge that the image created is not good enough to live? A touchy topic I'm glad someone wrote about in a non-judgemental way. She gave me the push to mention it here despite my wonderings if I'm going to upset readers with the different, althougth related, topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment