Friday, May 8, 2009

Global Organizations

I am not what you would call a political expert. I also have no intention of spending all my time trying to figure out all the little details that go into politics - especially on the nation and international level. Organizations are so big it is nearly impossible to know all the causes they do and do not support. I wish things were simple and you could just go to a store and buy something. However, stores support different causes and a lot of companies and organizations support planned parenthood and the pro-choice movement.

Some organizations surprise me. Amnesty International is a group that saw a lot of action on my college campus. When told the short story, it always seemed like a good thing to me though I never did join. This week, I was shown a news article on how Amnesty International has recently taken up a pro-choice position as part of their understanding of international human rights laws. I find it disheartening that so many large human rights groups forget about some of the most vulnerable they could be protecting. On the other hand, it gives me some confirmation that I am in the group that I can help and support the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment