Friday, May 1, 2009

Some thoughts from Lansing

During my time in Lansing I got to see a number of women that are fighting the same fight as me. There was a moving story given by one mother who had faced an unplanned pregnancy and is blessed now with her one year old daughter. I also sat with two teachers who are involved in some different pro-life groups and wanted to take the time to see what the day would be like - it was our first time there for all 3 of us.

Surprisingly enough though, I was surrounded by guys most of the day. I carpooled with 5 gentlemen and sat with a couple at lunch. The Keynote speaker was Luther Ellis (a former pro football player). His wife could not make it, so he gave the whole address. I believe there were two or three other male speakers I got to listen to as well.

What I am trying to lead into is the one thing that struck me most about the day. I was surrounded by a large group of gentlemen that are excited about life and willing to speak out to protect it. However, at no time in the day did it sound like they were trying to just tell women what to do. It was refreshing to be treated like a lady while still being valued for my input. I felt like I was getting the best of both worlds - old-fashioned gentlemen qualities with a more modern quality of having my opinion be of value. All in all, it was my interaction with some of these gentlemen that made the most impact on me Wednesday. I want to thank them for taking the time to notice the little things and helping me find a little more faith in humanity and our ability to support and help each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment