Monday, April 13, 2009

Easter prayers

Easter came quickly this year for me, but I still couldn't wait. No more fasting and waiting. We can celebrate Jesus rising from the dead. I enjoyed waking up and going to Mass with my husband and relaxing for a bit before we visited with his family. It was a beautiful day and we got to spend time outside in the sun - so relaxing.

Later on that day, while the majority of the family was watching the Masters, I picked up the Weekly Standard. Admittedly, this is an ultra-conservative publication. You only have to read about half an article to pick up on that fact. So, I would argue, it does not give fair and balanced coverage. Despite that fact, I found myself reading an article on abortion and the new administration. Now some things may be taken out of context, but in the article, I found this quote:

“Statutes that curtail her abortion choice are disturbingly suggestive of involuntary servitude, prohibited by the Thirteenth Amendment, in that forced pregnancy requires a woman to provide continuous physical service to the fetus in order to further the state’s asserted interest,” - Dawn Johnsen


President Obama appointed Dawn Johnsen to be the head of the office of Legal Counsel. She has quite the credentials when it comes to law and previous experience. However, even if the quote was out of context, it does not sit well with me. I know she has excellent past experience, but when did this country start thinking that pregnancy involves being harmed by a parasite that should be destroyed? And, in most cases, wouldn't it be the result of an activity that was completely voluntary.

Even though I disagree on the abortion issue, I tried to direct my prayers this Easter to the Obama administration. I want to see good come to this country and wish the administration the best. I hope they will try to follow God's lead and take time to truly discern what that lead might be. It is a truly difficult job to run a country and try to make time for God and family. I hope that his family will grow even stronger through this challenge of leadership. I hope that I (as well as others) will find time to ask for blessings to this country and seek common ground with everyone. If we can't find ways to show compassion and support, each side will feel defensive and move farther from the other. I believe that just as strongly as I believe that showing facts instead of simply expressing anger and hurt will help bridge gaps. Hopefully you enjoy the cartoon below that has some interesting facts that hopefully offer constructive criticism.

No comments:

Post a Comment