Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Disconnected Society

I read an article about one area of disconnect found in our society. Some of you may have already read about these two lists but, if you don't know what I'm talking about, I encourage you to read it here. In my journey to promote lifestyles that truly respect life at all stages and in all forms, I have mostly been drawn to the social/societal issues and debates. The article gave two great lists that showed our society believes there are completely different requirements for when it is okay to have intercourse to when it is okay to have a baby. She went on to make another point that I wanted to highlight:

In an article published by the Guttmacher Institute's Family Planning Perspectives, John A. Ross estimates that a woman using contraception with a 1 percent risk of failure has a 70 percent chance of experiencing an unwanted pregnancy over the course of 10 years. Guttmacher also reports that more than half of women seeking abortions were using a contraceptive method when they got pregnant. As soon as we as a society accepted contraception, a large-scale game of Russian roulette began, with women and their unexpected children as the players with the guns to their heads.


Shocking to know that accounts for every contraceptive and method of family planning. My plug for NFP - we acknowledge the connection between love and babies and can't get mad or blame a faceless enemy like the pill if conception occurs. Hopefully we appreciate and love the life for what it is - life!

On the other hand, I am the type of person that can get a little emotional especially if something really serious goes wrong - like making a wrong turn or forgetting to get milk from the store. I can't imagine the decisions I would make if my life was different and I ended up in that 70%. I work with many organizations (pro-life group, pregnancy center, religious groups) that try to help women with such a difficult decision, but how can we help before it comes to that?

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that was a good article, and I also appreciated that tidbit about the 70%. What an eye-opener!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m not good with numbers...so I never would have figured that out by myself - wow!

    ReplyDelete